Total Pageviews

Tuesday, March 27, 2012

As Good As Millionaires

Often times when we were at a 'kopitiam' for breakfast, we were approached by a familiar middle-aged Indian man who would wave a stack of lottery tickets at us and  would ask if we would want to be millionaires over  the weekend.  My husband used to patronise his small business, much to my disdain and he would be quite annoyed at my throwing cold water over his shoulders.  I would remind him that Christians are not supposed to gamble and he would give the excuse that he is not a habitual 'player'.  He would not admit that he was gambling but I told him that God is not going to look at it that way.
Habitual or not habitual is for himself to know because I have seen him trying his luck at other lottery 'games'.  God may be showering his blessings anytime now, he said.  I don't see it happening so far but I do see is tens of dollars going down the drain.  Pessimist? No, it is not that issue.  It is just something that is contrary to my beliefs.  People can cleverly make up all kinds  of excuses to justify their actions.
My father used to be a mahjong gambler. He was so addicted to it that he neglected his work and subsequently his family.  My grandmother used to be very disheartened at his behaviour and if not for the fact that she threatened him, my father would not have gone to work seriously but would have continued messing up with lady luck.  Sometimes some people do need some awakening before they realise what they are doing is not too right.
I know how much energy will be sapped away by gambling.  The suspense as the day of the draw of the lottery approaches is enough to distract your attention away from your work or whatever that is more important.  I have seen how much my colleagues used to engage in conversation about a certain lottery, when they should be concentrating on their work at the office.
Nowadays whenever I see that Indian man again, I will tell him in a joking manner that we are already 'millionaires'. We are satisfied with the wealth we have.  Yes, our blessings from Jesus is so abundant and unceasing. What have we to worry!
If we do buy any of the lottery tickets at all, it should be purely for charitable purposes and not for speculation.  Pray that most of us will focus more of our energies on something more 'natural'  than hoping for any windfall from a game of chance.

No comments:

Post a Comment